The MGH Center for Global Health is pleased to offer Global Health Community Engagement Awards to MGH Staff and Faculty in good standing as well as collaborators from partner institutions. These awards are granted through a committee review process implemented by the MGH Center for Global Health.
- Achieve improved health and healthcare equity within the populations we serve;
- Support patient-focused, community-based health projects and/or research that demonstrate a positive impact on patient health outcomes.
- Support humanitarian opportunities; and
- Support requests for specialized assistance from NGOs.
All staff, faculty, and partnering collaborators of Massachusetts General Hospital are eligible for the Community Engagement Award. Individuals and programs are limited to a lifetime total of two awards. CGH-affiliated fellowship programs are limited to 2 awards per 12-month period. A maximum of two (2) individual awards will be supported for groups traveling for the same purpose either at the same time or in the calendar year.
Priority will be given to individuals participating in unfunded research projects that apply for a Global Health Community Engagement Award.
Up to $2,000 are available per award and may include support for domestic or international travel. Travel tickets must be procured via the Partners preferred travel vendor Great GetAways Travel. If you have already purchased your tickets, you cannot apply for this award as we do not provide reimbursements for airline tickets.
**PLEASE READ the Application Instructions and Award Terms carefully before applying for a Community Engagement Award.**
Applications must be submitted online at https://globalhealth.massgeneral.org/community-engagement-award-application. Applications via e-mail are not accepted. Please read the instructions carefully. All fields must be completed and the following documents uploaded before your application can be submitted. Please submit applications at least 60 days prior to travel, as applications are reviewed on a monthly basis.
- Brief description of the project, purpose of travel and program goals (not to exceed 1 page)
- Letter of support from Mass General department manager, supervisor or program director. Letters must be signed and on official letterhead.
- Letter of support from local organization, collaborator or host describing the relevance and impact of travel. Letters must be signed and on official letterhead.
- Current CV/resume
- Travel Support Only
- Certificate of completion from UN BSAFE Training. This online course from the UN Department of Safety and Security provides basic safety and security preparedness for work overseas.
- If you are granted a Community Engagement Award, you will be contacted by the CGH Director of Travel Health, Safety and Security (HSS) who will provide you with additional information regarding your travel and explain the program-related HSS requirements. Depending on your travel location, you may be required to attend a 30-minute briefing to discuss specific HSS concerns and the MGB resources available to travelers.
- Community Engagement Award applications will be reviewed by the corresponding Center for Global Health Award Committee monthly.
- Award recipients are required to submit a one-page report documenting the use of their award within 30 days of utilization.
- Non-compliance will result in recipients being ineligible to receive community engagement awards in the future. By accepting this award, awardees give permission for the Mass General Global Health to use their report for publicity and marketing purposes.
- Support from MGH Global Health should be mentioned in any subsequent publications or presentations derived from this award.
- Travel related awards only:
- If the award will be used to support travel, applications should be submitted a minimum of 45 days before the date of expected travel to ensure adequate review time.
- Awards must be used (e.g. tickets purchased through Great GetAways) within 60 days of the award date. Failure to use funds within this timeframe will result in loss of award and require re-application. Travel Awards are solely for economy class airline tickets. Awards cannot be used to upgrade an existing airline ticket.
- Awardees with fares exceeding the $2,000 limit are required to reimburse MGH Global Health for the difference.
- Many countries require passports with a minimum of six month’s validity. One-year validity is preferred. If your passport is valid for 6 months or less, you may be stopped in certain airports and not permitted to continue your travel. MGH Global Health is not responsible for securing visas.
- Please make an appointment with the MGH Travel & Immunization Center (or equivalent) to ensure you have all the necessary immunizations and medications for your travel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I currently only need funding for $1,000. May I use the unused portion for something else later in the year?
A: No. The award covers only a single application of up to $2000 each year. You are welcome to apply again the following year. Please note: Individuals are limited to a lifetime total of two (2) community engagement awards.
Q: My abstract was accepted to the International AIDS Conference in 2020. Can I apply for a travel award to support my travel to the conference or conference fees?
A: Yes. Community Engagement can support travel and conference attendance.
Q: I already paid for some of my global health engagement expenses personally. Can I still apply and be reimbursed?
A: No. We are unable to offer reimbursements.
Q: May I use the award for housing and transportation costs?
A: Yes. As long as these expenses are detailed in the proposal.
Q: I know I want to work in global health but have not selected my partner organization(s). Can I still apply?
A: No. Complete applications include letters of support from your partner organizations. Your application is incomplete without a letter of support.
Q: I am a resident/fellow in a joint MGH-BWH training program. Can I still apply?
A: Yes. Community Engagement awards are available to the entire MGH community.
Q: I have a letter of support from my partner organization but have not yet confirmed my absence request from my manager. Can I still apply?
A: Yes. Assuming your manager has provided the necessary support for your application, your travel award will be conditionally funded with the understanding that the dates of travel will be resolved within the 90 days allowed to purchase your tickets. Failure to use the funds within the 90 days will require re‐application.
Q: I have travelled internationally before and/or have worked abroad. Do I still have to take the international health, safety, and security training?
A: Yes. We strive to create a culture of safety and security and these trainings are brief but very important. All applicants are required to attend the course, regardless of past experience. You can learn more about the session here.
If you have any further questions, please send an email to email@example.com.