MGH Global Health is pleased to offer Travel Awards to MGH Staff and Faculty in good standing. Travel Awards are also offered to collaborators from partner institutions for Observership purposes. Travel Awards are granted through a committee review process implemented by MGH Global Health.
- Achieve improved health and healthcare equity within the populations we serve;
- Support patient-focused, community-based health projects that demonstrate a positive impact on patient health outcomes;
- Support humanitarian opportunities; and
- Support requests for specialized assistance from NGOs.
All staff and faculty of Massachusetts General Hospital are eligible for travel awards. Individuals are eligible for one (1) travel award per calendar year. Individuals are limited to a lifetime total of two (2) travel awards. A maximum of two (2) individual travel awards will be supported for groups traveling to the same location for the same purpose either at the same time or in the calendar year.
Individuals participating in unfunded research projects may apply for a Travel Award.
Up to $2,000 are available per award. Travel awards are solely to support domestic or international air travel. Tickets must be procured via the Partners preferred travel vendor Great GetAways Travel. If you have already purchased your tickets, you cannot apply for a Travel Award as we do not provide reimbursements for airline tickets. Travel Awards are not provided to individuals seeking support for conference fees or airline travel to conferences.
**PLEASE READ the Application Instructions and Award Terms carefully before applying for a Travel Award.**
Applications must be submitted online at http://globalhealth.massgeneral.org/travel-award-application. Applications via e-mail are not accepted. Please read the instructions carefully. All fields must be completed and the following documents uploaded before your application can be submitted.
- Brief description of the project, purpose of travel and program goals (not to exceed 1 page)
- Letter of support from Mass General department manager, supervisor or program director. Letters must be signed and on official letterhead.
- Letter of support from local organization, collaborator or host describing the relevance and impact of travel. Letters must be signed and on official letterhead.
- Current CV/resume
- Certificate of completion from UN BSAFE Training. This online course from the UN Department of Safety and Security provides basic safety and security preparedness for work overseas.
- If you are granted a Travel Award, you will be contacted by the CGH Director of Travel Health, Safety and Security (HSS) who will provide you with additional information regarding your travel and explain the program-related HSS requirements. Depending on your travel location, you may be required to attend a 30-minute briefing to discuss specific HSS concerns and the MGB resources available to travelers.
- Travel Award applications will be reviewed by the Global Health Travel Award Committee monthly. Applications should be submitted a minimum of 45 days before the date of expected travel to ensure adequate review time.
- Travel Awards must be used (e.g. tickets purchased through Great GetAways) within 60 days of the award date. Failure to use funds within this timeframe will result in loss of award and require re-application.
- Travel Awards are solely for international or domestic air travel. Awards will not support any other costs, including but not limited to: housing, ground transport, food, fees, visas, supplies or equipment. Travel awards cannot be used to support conference attendance (conference fees or airfare for travel to conferences).
- Travel Awards are solely for economy class airline tickets. Awards cannot be used to upgrade an existing airline ticket.
- Awardees with fares exceeding the $2,000 limit are required to reimburse MGH Global Health for the difference.
- Award recipients are required to submit a one-page report and a photograph with caption documenting their travel within 30 days of their return. Non-compliance will result in recipients being ineligible to receive travel awards in the future. By accepting this award, awardees give permission for the Mass General Global Health to use trip reports and media for publicity and marketing purposes.
- Support from MGH Global Health should be mentioned in any subsequent publications or presentations derived from this award.
- Many countries require passports with a minimum of six month’s validity. One year validity is preferred. If your passport is valid for 6 months or less, you may be stopped in certain airports and not permitted to continue your travel. MGH Global Health is not responsible for securing visas.
- Please make an appointment with the MGH Travel & Immunization Center (or equivalent) to ensure you have all the necessary immunizations and medications for your travel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My flight only costs $1,000. May I use the unused portion for a second trip later in the year?
A: No. The award covers only a single round-trip itinerary per calendar year. You are welcome to apply again the following year for a second trip. Please note: Individuals are limited to a lifetime total of two (2) travel awards.
Q: My flight only costs $1,000. May I use the unused portion for a second destination on same trip?
A: Yes. The award supports a single, round‐trip itinerary per year. However, your proposal must offer a compelling explanation of the value of the second destination and provide additional letters of support from the additional organizations involved in your trip.
Q: My abstract was accepted to the International AIDS Conference in 2020. Can I apply for a travel award to support my travel to the conference?
A: No. Travel awards are not intended for conference attendance.
Q: I already booked my airfare and paid for it personally. Can I still apply and be reimbursed?
A: No. Tickets must be booked through Great GetAways and charged directly to MGH Global Health. We are unable to reimburse you for tickets already purchased.
Q: My flight only costs $1,000. May I use the unused portion of my award for housing and transportation costs in- country?
A: No. The travel award supports only international or domestic air travel.
Q: I know I want to work in Rwanda but have not selected my partner organization. Can I still apply?
A: No. Complete applications include letters of support from host organizations. Your application is incomplete without a letter of support.
Q: I am a resident in a joint MGH/BWH training program. Can I still apply?
A: Yes. Travel awards are available to the entire MGH community.
Q: I have a letter of support from my host organization but have not yet confirmed my absence request from my manager. Can I still apply?
A: Yes. Your travel award will be conditionally funded with the understanding that the dates of travel will be resolved within the 90 days allowed to purchase your tickets. Failure to use the funds within the 90 days will require re‐application.
Q: I have travelled internationally before and/or have worked abroad. Do I still have to take the international health, safety, and security training?
A: Yes. We strive to create a culture of safety and security and these trainings are brief but very important. All applicants are required to attend the course, regardless of past experience. You can learn more about the session here.
If you have any further questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.